History of Raemelton
The facilities at the Raemelton Therapeutic Equestrian Center are part of what was once an estate of more than 2,000 acres and employing 40 full-time employees. Founded in 1910 by Frank Black, the estate was named Raemelton Farm, after the town in Ireland from which his father came.
The original barn was built in 1850 and remodeled in 1929 into a proper stable. It burned down in 1932 and 1937 and both times was immediately rebuilt. The stable annex, however, was not rebuilt. The remaining brick wall just outside the archway of the barn defines its outlines. This barn currently houses the program horses used in therapeutic riding classes.
In 1932, the small hexagonal building outside the barn was added as a tool shed, and it continues to fulfill that purpose today.
The long shed barn was built in 1910 and remodeled in 1929, adding box stalls. This barn was referred to as the polo barn, often housing the mounts of a visiting polo team. The polo field itself was located along the tree-lined dirt Trimble Road.
The riding hall was built in 1930 and the Raemelton Riding Club organized activities there. Regular events included Sunday afternoon teas, to socialize and watch riders through the glass view room. Butlers used an underground path in the hall's basement to travel from the mansion to the riding hall. Both polo practice and scheduled rides were held three times a week, although the riding hall was open for unscheduled riding at any time.
Yellow and white have always been the traditional Raemelton colors because yellow was the favorite color of Frank Black's wife, Jessie.
Until after World War I, Raemelton Farm District was considered "way out" in the country. Marion Avenue was paved only to Glessner Avenue. The facilities are now surrounded by the city of Mansfield, but Raemelton Therapeutic Equestrian Center hopes to preserve its historical buildings from demolition and its land from development by putting them to the use for which they were intended, horses and people.
The Raemelton Farm Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.